6 Things All List Posts Have In Common
1. They’re incredibly reductive
Clearly the only thing I remember from my writing workshop is the concept of hyperbole, which is why every one of my lists is about ALL OF MANKIND (and by that I mean my experience as part of the white middle-class.)
2. They state the most obvious things
Did you know students like to party? THANK GOD THERE ARE A LOT OF GIFS ABOUT BEING HUNGOVER ON THE INTERNET.
3. It’s literally the opposite of being a writer
I have a degree in English and Communications that got me in debt for the next 20 years but I get paid to write sassy one-liners, so WHY BOTHER?
4. The most researched part about them is finding the GIFs
Out of the 15 minutes it takes me to write my lists, I have to say it takes me a good 12 to scroll down the Tumblr tags.
5. They only elicit two kinds of reactions
Option A: “OMG that’s so true! Especially #s 5, 7, 8, 10 and 14.”
Option B: “Ahem, I’m a student, and none of this applies to me. Especially not #s 5, 7, 8, 10 and 14.”
6. We all read them
YES, ALL OF US.